Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pay Up, Mothertrucker

First, let me say that I'm only 4000 words behind on my NaNoWriMo schedule. Woo! Not bad considering I only started YESTERDAY. But, the new project is fun--very dark and extra creeptacular. The Story Masters workshop was AH-mazing, insightful, and brain-exploding good fun.

Second, a lesson about paying for a tattoo.

WARNING:
RANT AHEAD
PROCEED WITH CAUTION

My tattoo work is expensive.

Not because I think I'm superior, it's expensive because I'm good at what I do. You aren't just paying for supplies, nitwit. You're also paying for 12+ years of experience, education regarding the prevention of disease transmission, the apprenticeship I bothered to undergo because I refused to be a scum of the earth scratcher, cleaniness, expertise, professionalism, and talent. Not to mention the time I spend on your piece (no matter how big or small) because I actually CARE about my work and the HEART I put into every single tattoo.

I work at a shop that has been in business for 20 years. We've lasted because we have respect for the tradition of tattooing, spend time with you and your design, and generally give a f**k about you and what you are putting on your body FOREVER.

I realize that there are many, MANY shops who would do your tattoo cheaper. Hell, they might even do a decent job.

But DO NOT disrespect me, my passion, my shop, or my integrity by trying to pull off some cheap, flea-market haggle over the price. It makes you look stupid.

And it makes me want to stab you in the face.

Do your g*ddamn research. Look at my work, talk to people I've tattooed, and keep in mind this simple rule that has been around western tattooing since...well, it's been around for a very long time--

CHEAP TATTOOS AREN'T GOOD AND GOOD TATTOOS AREN'T CHEAP.

And you always get what you pay for.

1 comment:

  1. Great Post! I think this is a problem in society. People want something for nothing. Vivien, you've inspired a rant in me too!

    I'm a mental health counselor. It's a constant battle to get clients to pay for their services. It's bad enough that when I see a client their insurance may not actually pay me for a month to a year after I've rendered the service. If they pay at all.

    So I live on co-pays and clients HATE paying their co-pays. But, come on people. Co-pays are the ONLY money I get for sessions until your insurance decides to pay up. BTW copays are usually $10-25. Of that money I have to give 40% to renting my space. So for that one hour session I earn $6-15--before taxes. Wow. That's shitty money for having 7 years of college, a Master Degree, and having to jump through the hoops of the State to be a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor. Not to mention my 11 years of experience.

    You want cheap therapy go to a community mental health center where your therapist will be an intern. Or they'll have just graduated from college. Or you will only be able to schedule an appointment once every few months.

    As Vivien said "You always get what you pay for."

    ReplyDelete